Monday, January 16, 2012
I am piecing a quilt called Rambling Rose Meets Jamestown for a local quilter. It's going to be a big one - queen size in fact. I've got the first three blocks done, but have many more to go. Nine more sample style and 23 log cabins. The pattern uses templates for cutting out the pieces. It's the first time that I have used templates and I quite like them. The only pain is when they slip a little in the middle of a cut! I think I figured my way around that now though.
I worked on this block in the past week. It took longer than I anticipated, but it came together well enough. It is called Roanoke Island. I like the fussy cut flower center.
This block gave me some troubles. I'm not really sure why, but I misunderstood the directions and had to do a bunch of ripping out. Oh, my old friend, seam ripper. This block is called Discovery.
Lastly, I have been working on a sample for my Beginner's Quilt class in the spring at Katja's. I miscalculated how much background I needed and had to buy some more last week. Good thing there's lots of it! I also was not thrilled with my original sashing choice, so I bought a new fabric today for that. I think it's going to be lovely!
PS. Sorry about the terrible photos. Night time lighting is the pits.